Friday, 14 April 2017

Why I Believe series (part two)

The first time I realised that not everyone believed in God was when I came to the UK to study. I guess I had lived a pretty sheltered life. For the first couple of years I lived with a host family that went to Mass every Sunday but I wouldn't call them Christians; that's what they did. I went with them a couple of times but decided it wasn't for me, so I stopped going. I attended a Catholic college and met RE teachers and fellow students who were atheists. I was perplexed. I didn't go to church for about a year; I decided to do church at home instead. I was 17 years old, had been to church all my life, and had what I understood to be a relationship with God. Christianity was all I knew but suddenly I felt like I knew nothing after all. I felt alone. University was a life saver for me in many ways. I met people from all over the world and realized we were all in the same boat; everyone was new and wanted to make friends. People didn't care if you were White, Black, Asian, or Other. I walked into the first Christian Union meeting of the term and almost stopped in my tracks. There were tens, if not hundreds of students- White, Black, Chinese, you name it, all worshipping, at the same time. Some had their hands raised high. I felt like I had come home.

2 comments: